Sunday, August 22, 2010

As the road stretches out...

Another long day of traveling, settling in after dark this time, as with the last two nights...taking me a long time to  get to where I need to go each day. Today I found myself struggling with the fatigue that's settling in. As good as this has been, it can get tiring, although I do try to amuse myself along the way. When the road stretches out in front of me though, I really simply enjoy taking in my surroundings and thinking; doing a whole lot of thinking! And when I can't take it anymore, I tune the radio to listen to anything it has to offer which is sometimes very slim pickings. I was enjoying a particularly good rolling the miles away in Wyoming and had just been able to tune in to Prairie Home Companion, so was glad for some interesting radio to help while away the time. As I was enjoying it and just smiling really, I saw a highway patrol was behind me in the passing lane, so I pulled over as they are always wanting to rush ahead to their business. It was such a smooth pull in I felt pleased I was finally getting used to this mountain driving. I wasn't as pleased when I saw that he wasn't really pulling ahead, then pulled in behind me; then the dreaded lights started flashing. Not good. Apparently I was going a fair bit over the speed limit, so I'm thinking I've gotten used to the car by now as going 70 intimidated me when I started out. I guess averaging my overly slow times during some mountain passes, and my speeding wasn't going to work. I did tell him I was trying to get out of the mountains as fast as I could but that wasn't helpful either.  He was so polite about the whole thing and let me pay for the ticket then and there and I found myself thanking him for being so kind and polite. It was 'almost' a pleasure--although that wasn't quite what I had in mind for my emergency fund! I have found that on this trip...on the whole everyone has been more than polite, interesting to talk, to which has added to this adventure. Sometimes, if in a hotel and there wasn't a place to sit for breakfast, I'd join other solitary individuals and we'd chat away. As my trip has unfolded, flying by the seat of my pants at times as far as which direction to go when, I have discovered that where I 'would have been' for some other reason wouldn't have worked out. It's been intriguing. I saw the last of my family tonight. It was really good and worth heading in this direction before heading home. The best has been to see my family across the country, and some good friends. I have no regrets for what I haven't seen, thankful for the surprises along the way, and still look forward to the bit of adventure that's left before all is said and done.

No comments:

Post a Comment