Friday, August 27, 2010

Not quite home yet....

Although a long travel day, not ending until near 10:00 pm, it certainly felt triumphant to return to where I started ... at my parents' home. Even though the last three states were familiar to me, I still saw them with new eyes, and was impressed with the fact that from Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, straight farmland...lots of corn, beans, and sorghum. No wonder it's called the bread basket! When one drives literally day after day after day by these fields, it's impactful to see just how large the 'bread basket' is. This was also the first time I've seen tiered cornfields, as in Illinois. An interesting use of some of these fields was the combination of cornfields and windfarms. Up to this point, I had only seen windfarms on unfarmable lands. I had made a pointed decision to just drive, so only had a few planned stops with the hope to get to Ohio today, Canada tomorrow. On the whole that worked, although by now the body was really feeling all these days of straight driving and it was finally becoming a bit of an endurance test to keep pushing on... the fatigue and soreness was just becoming a bit much. As day was coming to an end and I was literally forcing myself to keep driving, keep pushing on, it was exceptionally nice to see the "Welcome to Ohio" sign that was literally glowing due to the sunset shining right on it. Sweet! A couple more hours and I arrived back to where I started. Today was a peaceful day of rest, unwinding, even watching a bit of a Reds Game with my brother. Nice. Unfortunately, it looks like the adventure is not quite over as once home and rested at my parents, I unexpectedly pulled my back doing something so innocuous I never saw it coming. One quick moment and grounded! So must stay here until it is well enough to be able to make the drive home. Yet I'm thankful if this was to happen, it is here. Kind of anti-climatic true, and I felt bad to informed my children I was delayed; but if this was to happen I'm thankful it happened here!  I guess the adventure just isn't over yet. And the Red's game is pretty good! Go Bruce! Just hit his third home run tonight! Woo Hoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment