Monday, August 9, 2010

Indiana

Unexpected find... only at my parents!
I stayed at my parents for a fair few days in Ohio before officially heading out on my road trip. I am now at my aunt and uncle's at the Indiana/Illinois border.  Been quite the journey to get to this point. Lots of delays and 'incidents' along the way so a speedy progress is NOT happening; not in heading out in time, not in getting anywhere quickly, not in seeing new sights. Seven days, four states, wasn't quite what I had in mind. I believe I'm now slower than Greyhound in getting from point to point. Having made several trips across country that way, I realized Greyhound would get you there 'eventually'. On my own steam... Greyhound's eventually seems quite quick! Hope to head out tomorrow either towards the mountains, or due west... will toss the die and make a decision when I wake up.

I had mentioned to someone yesterday a.m. when "officially" heading out for my long talked of road trip that each day would be it's own day, own adventure. Little did I know how true that would become so quickly.Yesterday provided a "broke" car and over 9 hours for a 350 mile trip. Today, the car is fixed and I have become ill with flu-like symptoms... hopefully not long lasting but not able to travel.

Yet within these incidents I've been able to get to know my relatives much better than I have all these years. It's been a real pleasure. Within the getting sick, I am with family so am being taken care of as opposed to finding a spot somewhere to rest and sleep along the road. Within the repairs of the vehicle, it ended up being a warranty issue so was taken care of in a very nice way and the dealership, Terre Haute Chevrolet, couldn't have been better to work with. 

I've already met some very interesting people within the waiting. The ladies at McDonald's who asked for my name specific as I was leaving, to pray for me to make it to California as they had overheard my phone call about car repairs; the policeman who shared enough stories of his own road trips that helped build the excitement of seeing this beautiful country and also, I will be weary of the vans that may be hollow and have winch inside! Thankfully, my car is too large to be driven over and taken away! Quite frankly, never would have thought of it before!

So despite the delays, slow movement, and getting no where fast, not seeing 'new' country, it's been good on many fronts and the adventure-a-day has not disappointed.

5 comments:

  1. Love your blog Donna. Look forward to your updates. Wish I was there to buddy along with you. Hoping you have a lot of adventure and a safe journy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Godspeed, Donna! I wish you an 'uneventful' trip with many blessed moments (or should I say, 'blessedly uneventful'!?) Many thanks for the book. Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. not much left of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We should have taken you to see the covered bridges in Indiana. Sorry. So many pic's have been taken of them. They are really beautiful. If you get back I promise to take you

    ReplyDelete