Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Gateway to the West

Since I first saw it as a child, I have always been fascinated by the Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri. One photo cannot do it justice. The farenheit index was over 112 while I was there today, but the heat/humidity didn't take away from the awe of seeing this huge structure that symbolizes so much historically and personally. It truly is the gateway to the west. When one of my daughters and I stopped here a few years back, it was all we could do not to keep going westward as there seems to be a beckoning within this arch. I made a silent promise I'd be back, and then keep traveling. Today that promise was kept.

This massive arch of polished stainless steel, with the silver gleaming in the sun is an amazing sight to behold... As you look at it up towards the sky it seems to have an aura of its own. I think of all those who have gone before us to prepare the land we live in now. Even while driving through Missouri afterwards and seeing the hills and forests I couldn't help but think of the land as it was before it was 'explored and settled'. Untouched and beautiful.

Yet civilization has its place to and as I settled in for the night, I couldn't help but say out loud, "YES, civilization!" as I was again surrounded by the lights of a busy city with the many neon signs of all the establishments around the exit I pulled off. Welcoming indeed. It was a long day and creature comforts very much appreciated. It was more a travel day than people day, and I wasn't able to photograph the beauty that I drove through...the rich farmland of Illinois or the hilliness of Missouri but is imprinted on my mind as is the country music which was what my radio picked up, it just seemed to fit within the Lake of the Ozarks and Brandon area. When in Rome....

2 comments:

  1. i miss the arch, thanks for calling me, the picture brings me back, that fabulous arch

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully written, Donna. Some years ago we took a similar trip from east to west mostly along I-70, with some memorable off-the-freeway standouts. While not quite having your adventure, your blogging remarkably brings back the memories of a great trip. I especially remember the kindness of those always willing to help if you were in need. May your trip continue successfully.

    ReplyDelete