Friday, August 13, 2010

Oklahoma

It is time to move on. I had a great time here from beginning to end and it was nice to just be in one place for a few days. I have seen a fair bit while here... although of course, not as much as there is to see. Featured here are photos from Guthrie, the original capital of Oklahoma, and the Witchita Mountains Wildlife Reserve...both places very fascinating. My sister was kind enough to drive so I could be passenger... something I tend to treasure more and more as a gift to sit and see instead of always being in the driver's seat.

While at the reserve, we couldn't help but think of the times when the buffalo truly roamed and didn't need the preservation measures they do today. I think of the landmark in Buffalo, as you merge onto I-90 towards Erie, PA and there are the sculptures of buffalo grazing, echoing a long ago reality that is exampled on this reserve. Here we were, next to these huge animals and although we didn't get too close...figured they were bigger and could run faster than we could!... there still was ample space and time to appreciate these magnificant animals and the longhorns... who too, showed patience with us as we were in their face, shooting away. It was a lot of fun...at least for us...

Tomorrow I head towards Arizona... looking forward to reaching another goal, yet quite hesitant to drive in the mountain areas. Something I find intimidating at best, yet as with today, once a peak is reached, the view is quite worth the trepidation. I will try to keep that in mind and although not a comfort zone for myself, will simply let the wheels go forth and take each mile as it comes and watch how it will all unfold as I continue the trek towards California. Been an interesting journey to go on even if not at all how I percieved it would be when planning it out. Just goes to show, one never knows...

No comments:

Post a Comment