Saturday, August 14, 2010

OKC to New Mexico

Group that washed my car on another side trip--I felt overdressed!

Before heading this way, I read that the trip from Oklahoma City to Albuquerque on I-40 was boring. Boring! How can that possibly be? My drive out of Oklahoma included fascinating wind farms, beautiful farm country, rolling hills and horizon lines that just don't quit. And cattle... lots and lots of cattle. When in Texas there were the oil rigs and huge silos after silos... almost like pit stops along side the road. Once in New Mexico, the landscape changed even more and the mesas started protruding out of seemingly flat ground and the roads got higher and the view stretched out in front for miles. The horizon seemed non-ending... and impossible to photograph while driving... didn't seem the best idea although temptation was there! OK, I did try briefly but quickly put camera down!

People are fairly friendly at the rest stops and the further I get, the more common the goal is... California via I-40 so we are aware of each other as we travel. It did kind of surprise me to be recognized as 'the photographer along the highway'... yet it was a nice conversation opener to chat a bit too. I-40 isn't the QEW so is fairly safe to pull over and take photos in certain areas.

I do seem to have a knack within my gas stops for pulling off into the seediest parts of town and yet in a way, kind of enjoy it as there certainly is no tourism --- yet must admit I don't blend in all that well so try to keep a somewhat low profile. My favorite was in buying some groceries and Spanish was the first language and signage...thankfully the old high school Spanish clicked in and apples look like apples regardless of title! I felt like I was in Mexico itself. And the service was such my cart was brought out to the car and loaded up for me, just like the town I was brought up in. The worst stop was when I didn't dare turn my back while pumping gas and I got out of there ASAP and made another mental 'note to self'.

All in all been a fascinating trek and keeps me on my toes as each new day comes.

No comments:

Post a Comment