Sunday, August 22, 2010

Routes and pathways

Pacific ocean view from car while driving
Just about ready to head into Wyoming...not quite awake enough so thought I'd write out some thoughts. Before leaving California I drove along a portion of the Pacific Coastal Highway. What a treat and a long term goal so I found it very emotional to be there. Actually, within all the driving, there have been incredible scenaries before my eyes. I had grabbed a 'point and shoot' camera from the house last minute just in case it became handy. As it is, especially with my main camera not operable for now, the little camera became a great tool as I've mastered the art of taking photos and driving at the same time. Although a hit and miss (Actual aiming for a good photograph is out of the question when driving!) some fairly good shots have come out to capture the scenary while passing by. These last few days have been mountain days. Although still not too relaxed with the declines and the passes where there's mountain only and steep curving, I can still enjoy the absolute beauty and different geologocial formations along the way. California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah...some crossover of types but also huge variety. When heading east again I needed to take some off-Interstate roads to get to where I was going. I felt more like I was in France or Italy, not North America...english wasn't even the first language in some of the back hills. I knew in Quebec, parts of New Brunswick, are all french-speaking; I didn't expect that through backroads in California. On the drive, especially the tree-lined portions, I felt like I was in Southern France again. Beautiful. One stretch was as straight as an arrow but was shaped with mounds so was like driving on a ski mogul. This drive was an amazing little piece of the journey and probably one of my favorite drives so far. On I-15, without warning, especially as the route I had chosen was at the advice of others as the 'least mountainness" of all routes, I had to drive through a canyon...the only warning I had was a sign that said "For the next 11 miles there will be mountain driving."...since I've done the steep curves and downward spirals before...I wasn't that concerned...just the usual bracing process I go through. I was NOT prepared for the quick hairpin turns and being completely surrounded by rock. I found out later that it was gorge of a canyon that the road is routed through and even some locals white-knuckle through it. Yet again, to be surrounded totally by the harshness of the rock formations was beauty in itself. Utah has been so friendly...their rest stops are the greatest...and plentiful...as they do not want 'drowsy drivers'. It has been getting more and more green and there are farmlands at 6000 + feet up. Today it will be Wyoming and Colorada, and although down a camera and only able to point and shoot while driving, I try to capture as much as possible to memory of all the spectacular views and scenery along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment