Thursday, August 26, 2010

Last leg...

White Road Post
Once again, I got side tracked trying to see some of the country I was driving through. I was in Iowa and was told of a 26-mile length of road that was to some degree along the old wagon trails of old and had many interesting sights. Some of which I could find easily, some I couldn't find at all. They called it the "White Post Road" and it intersected six towns. I found the painted rock, dedicated to our veterans the most intriguing. Actually, travelling across the country this was probably the most common denominator...our veterans; from walls, to paintings, to names for our highways, museums, parks, etc. It was good to see the honor. It is most likely there is a rare life, if any, who's isn't touched by a family member past or present who hasn't served. Having visit the Wall in Washington D.C. some years back, and feeling the powerfulness of being there, it's nice to see it's spread across the country. This "rock" honors our veterans with new paintings each year, and also has some ashes from some of our Vietnam vets encased on one portion that has become a permanent part of the painting. It helps soften the blow of such huge loss, to have these memorials and thanks to all whom help create them.

I am feeling the fatigue so take much longer to get from point to point. Was pulled over again yesterday (starting to get a little paranoid!) due to crossing the yellow line a few times and someone reported me. In speaking to the officer, I just mentioned the fatigue and he was good with that. I slept a fair bit between driving moments, so think it is getting time to end the trip. There is one more length today to end up back at my parents...then home. Most likely none to soon. It's been perfect weather the whole time, the only true storm was through the night, so I've been very fortunate. Had a nice evening last night, treating myself to a good dinner and hotel (no more 'by the hour' ones!) and am getting ready to drive that last portion. Tired but thankful I've been able to go on this trip. It's been good.

No comments:

Post a Comment