Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Pasadena, California

Thirty-three years later, I finally made it back and a longtime dream has come true. As usual, took much longer than anticipated to make the drive today. So arrival was that much sweeter. Ironically, it is the coolest weather I've come across within the whole trip... but a pleasant relief from the 100's I was getting used to.  There seems to be added adventure tacked on to each day, and today was no different. First challenge past those mountains that I had trouble with, was finding my own way to the Pacific Ocean, instead of following directions...being directionlly challenged, even NOT driving towards mountains (that just seemed too obvious) it still took me way longer than it should have to find a beach. Secondly, driving in the massive amount of traffic LA unloads... Truthfully, the actual driving wasn't bad, atlhough probably not the smartest idea to arrive during rush hour (another 'note to self') but it was just the sheer volumes of vehicles. I found out later I drove on the busiest of the highways, so it was no wonder. Still, it was kind of fun and an adventure all on it's own. Although arriving too late to see Pasadena and visit old familiar sites, I felt the old hum and excitement in the air and it is with anticipation I look forward to exploring.  This evening I was able to spend time with good friends, catching up on years of absence and I'm looking forward to spending more time here before heading out.

So...

Time to get this far? Years of hoping and  15 days travel time.
Incidents and 'getting lost' along the way? Who's counting!
Miles traveled? Over 3000.
Finally dipping my feet in the Pacific? Priceless... (and very cold!)

3 comments:

  1. this is so awesome, u have to drive on that highway that is alays on the movies, the pacific ocean highway or wtvr, and get a picture of the hollywood sign!! and find lauren conrad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you're finally on the right side of the continent. Now you just need to travel a ways north. See you soon. Helen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wasn't allowed to mention at the time... but while on the beach here... my son called and let me know he was getting married. It also was my birthday and I couldn't think of a better way to have spent the day... in the morning at my sister's, then at the beach with a dream finally coming true, and then my son letting me know he was getting married, for which they did later that fall.

    ReplyDelete