Monday, August 30, 2010

Home

Finished up driving yesterday. Had an exceptionally early start, so was driving at dawn, with a fair few foggy patches. It was quite beautiful as the sun's rays would break through the fog; a really nice way to finish up the last day.  I had one more item on the list before finishing the trip, a special retirement celebration. This meant I needed to go to Toronto before I was able to go home. When heading out I had no clue the 'why' it was so important to be there, just to go and ignore good common sense that one more day of resting before going probably would have been wiser. So I listened to that instinct with the caveat that if I couldn't make it, I would pull over until I could do better and know I did the best I could. As it was, it worked out perfectly. While at the celebration, in listening to the stories of this individual's 41-year journey in his field, seeing the fruits of his labor before him that day, I realized we are all on our own journeys that will affect others in our lives and around us and just because one path ends, it doesn't mean we're finished, rather we are just tackling things from a different position. Just because his had an official title that he now retired from doesn't mean those of us who don't have the 'titles' or official retirement dates don't count. We all were on journeys, short ones such as the trip, or life-long ones simply as we are living our day-to-day. Retirement doesn't mean stop, it just is a change of direction and he will exemplify it beautifully, just as he has these past 41 years. It was neat to realize that this gentleman will no more stop what he's doing within his own life, just change the patterning of what he's been doing all along. During conversation afterwards, the word "pilgrimage" was mentioned in regards to my own trip. As I heard that word and as I  thought of the celebration presentation itself I realized in many ways it was a good fit although it hadn't been my intent, I was just going on a 'road trip' which really did end up being a true pilgrimage--in so many ways.  As I drove the final lap from Toronto to my home, my mind filled with so many memories of all that had happened within these past four weeks and there was a strong mix of sadness this time period was over, with an appreciation of being back home with my own family and life here. When all was said and done I can say the whole journey dovetailed beautifully as the days unfolded. A trip not soon to be forgotten and well worth every mile covered.

4 comments:

  1. Do you always drive in the fast lane?

    ReplyDelete
  2. In reflection, to do this road trip is something I never have forgotten, and when reviewing the blog, not only relive the trip and the memories but continue to be thankful for the opportunity to see so much of our great country...what a thrill! If I can challenge you to live the adventures and not look back, you too, will have no regrets! Can't wait to go again! : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete